The rule of thumb when serving wine is to have a half bottle per person. But that can certainly vary depending on a few variables.
You will want ¾ a bottle or a full bottle per person if:
– Wine is the only alcoholic beverage being served
– The party/gathering is over three hours
– Your friends are big drinkers! Don’t want to run out with a crowd like that…
You can account for less if:
– There are multiple types of alcoholic beverages being served
– You are sure of your guests’ preferences and some of them are not for wine.
The cardinal rule is not to run out, so best buy more, not less, and buy what you like so that if you are stuck with leftovers, you’ll enjoy drinking them through the holidays!