Following up from our post from Omaha Steaks blog post share, we wanted to share some of our own wine tips for your holiday gatherings!
- Have enough wine! The cardinal rule is never run out of wine, so always get a bit more than you expect to use. Make sure you get something you enjoy so that you can continue to drink the leftover bottles well after the party – my parents are still drinking the awesome sparkling wine we served at my sister’s wedding last year because we over-bought. But unlike ordering too many appetizers, the wine never goes bad, and you won’t hear them complain!
– Pre-chill. Make sure those bubbles and whites are well chilled before the event. Though ice buckets can be useful and fast, they can also be messy. If everything is well chilled, the bottles can be out a bit in room temperature and not get too warm, without you having to soak them.
– Pre-open. Here’s where I love screw cap wines - they are perfect for parties. For cork closures, make sure you open a few (especially for large gatherings) so you don’t have to take time away from checking on any food cooking.
– Make sure you have enough glassware, and make sure it’s clean! pre-count, make sure you have enough, and for large gatherings, have some wine charms to get you through the evening.
– Finally, don’t indulge too much. Hosts should be relaxed, but not too much so!